Breaking News

Wine Bottle/Old Window WALL ART

In 1978, when my husband and I bought our first home together, one of the first things we did was replace the drafty wooden basement windows with more energy efficient windows. Even way back then (40+ years ago), I couldn't throw those ugly; but beautiful to me, solid wood windows out.

While I have transformed every one of these windows over the years, the last one eluded me. Until NOW!
Time: 3 Hours Cost: $11 Difficulty: Easy
  • wine bottle old window wall art
I had seen something on Pinterest that caught my eye, so I gathered my materials and got to it.

I decided to start with the wine bottles (of which I have quite the collection) removed the labels and gave them a good clean.

I am really into beachy colors/looks so I bought a spray can of seaglass/aqua and gave the bottles two coats - allowing the paint to dry between coats. Love the way they turned out
  • wine bottle old window wall art
After Christmas, I found this great twine in the clearance section of my local HOME GOODS; didn't know what I was going to use it for, but for $3.00 how could I not buy it?
I used the twine to wrap around the bottles, securing the beginning and the end, with hot glue. It took about 3 yards of twine per bottle; but that totally depends on how much twine you want to use for your project; but I suggest that you measure out the twine ahead of time to be sure you have the exact lengths of twine you need for all the bottles.
  • wine bottle old window wall art
  • wine bottle old window wall art
  • wine bottle old window wall art
  • wine bottle old window wall art
Added faux sea glass from the $$ store and some of my paper flower creations; bronze wire (that I found in the jewelry section of Michaels) around the neck for hanging - you will see why in a bit.

Next I turned my attention to the 75 year old window. Wearing a mask, I sanded as much of the old grey paint off the window. This took a while, but was worth the effort. I was going to leave it in its raw state, but then decided to do a wash of watered down turquoise paint on it, and I am glad I did.
  • wine bottle old window wall art
  • wine bottle old window wall art
I then cleaned the glass panels and above each of the panes, I mounted a bronze hook. Using the wire that I wrapped around the neck of each bottle, I was able to create a loop
  • wine bottle old window wall art
which allowed me to mount/hang the bottle in front of each of the three glass panes on my old window.
  • wine bottle old window wall art
  • wine bottle old window wall art
And there you have it! My wall art project.

This project holds special significance for me; since after my husbands passing, I had to sell this home of 38 years, the home that we had raised our 4 children (now adults) and welcomed our first grandchild into the world in, I am so filled with joy that a little piece of that house is now hanging in the guest room of my new home and every time I look at it, the memories of what we lovingly called "Bunker Manor" come flooding back to me.

Happy crafting everyone!

This is a post project additional instruction: There have been some questions regarding the wire around the neck of the bottle and the "rabbit ears". To create the twisted wire, I guessed at how long it should be...it turned out the finished twisted wire was more than I really needed, so when I went to hang the bottles on the hook, there were a couple of inches of wire that weren't really necessary (the "rabbit ears"); but I decided I liked the way they looked (of course I didn't see them as rabbit ears, just added interest) so I didn't clip them. A happy accident, as they say.
  • wine bottle old window wall art

No comments