Breaking News

Faux Fieldstone


I created lifelike field stone for over my fireplace made from Styrofoam, spackling and paint. I was able to give depth to the stone by layering some of the stones with 2 layers of Styrofoam. All were painted individually and sealed for a washable surface.

faux fieldstone
cutting various shapes and sizes using a kitchen knife and exacto knife.

faux fieldstone
shapes and sizes cut to resemble real fieldstone, then edges are trimmed to round out the stones.

faux fieldstone
1st layer of stone affixed to wall using constructive adhesive. Then I put a second layer on various stones to give more depth.

faux fieldstone
spackling applied to all of the stones to give a stone finish.

faux fieldstone
Here's a picture to show depth created by layering on various stones.


faux fieldstone

In the process of painting the stones.

faux fieldstone
I then finished painting and sealing the stones. Do not use spray sealer as it will destroy the Styrofoam. Such a warm feeling given to the living room. All that saw the stone work never knew it wasn't real stone. I hope you love this, and maybe give it a try yourself!

No comments