Breaking News

My Kitchen Be GONE!

First, I want everyone to know that I am not a blogger or writer and I did not sleep at a Holiday Inn last night. Also, when these pics were taken, they were for memory sake, not for a post here on Hometalk. With that cleared up front; When we bought this house, the layout and bones were Perfect! They were exactly what I had been looking for, for almost 4 months! What with all these heavy iron bars on every window, yeah, I said that. It just screamed DREAM HOME at me.
Ahhhh,, one would think this was a dicey area of town, NOT to me though. The kitchen was first on my hit list!
Time: 12 Months Cost: $1000 Difficulty: Medium
What I saw was real wood cabinets in fantastic condition, just not enough of them.  Pic is of listing from former owner with permission.
Here you see the 1970's back of the cabinets and an L shape countertop.  My goal was to remove these cabinets and relocate them.  Also notice the Pantry the former owners used and just beyond that is the hallway and that is a bedroom door with papers hanging on it.  That was Going away!
Again, listing photo with permission.
Drop down cabinets over bar and counter removed.
  • my kitchen be gone
Doorway, GONE! Closed off
As I mentioned, not enough cabinets, so we bought another kitchen, like ours from Tallahassee, Fl.  Had doors made to match.
Having all cabinets in place and new doors, I was ready to put the finishing touches on this kitchen.
Here I added molding, sanded, painted and reinstalled the uppers.
Now she's ready for company!
  • my kitchen be gone
Stove wall.
My baking station.  Notice the swing arm curtain rod, it holds all my baking needs> and I Mean all!
NOTE:  I made all light fixtures and curtains for bottom cabinets where I would stand for longer periods of time.
This was a feat and a half to say the least.  But oh so worth every cut, blister and every tear for me.
For anyone who wants to know what took so long, Ill share a bit about myself. I am 54, disabled but very capable. But,  I got very sick during this reno.  To the point of not being able to get out of my own way!  Gained 50 lbs, and could not sleep.  Needless to say, it was my thyroid, and it just quit.   We chased it for quite some time and all is well now.  But for those of you out there that think you cant, I'm here to tell you oh yes you can.  It just takes me longer and hurts a lot more than say, 5 years ago. But I own my disabilities, they do not own me. And I will cross that finish line and I have the rest of this house (now sold), and the one we are in now (under construction) to share with you if you'd like me to.  P.S. The weight is long gone too.!

Materials used for this project:

  • Countertops   (locally)
  • Flooring   (I dont remember)

No comments