Breaking News

Rusty Sunshine Wind Chime Gets A Fresh Farmhouse Look For Front Door

Look at this sunshine wind chime I found at a yard sale for a buck! Isn't she gorgeous! All the rust and wear and tear makes her even more beautiful. I wanted to give it a new, farmhouse feel so that I could use it on my front door. A fresh coat of paint and a little bit of distressing, she would be good as new! Well, almost. I wanted to keep the worn patina.
Time: 2 HoursCost: $4Difficulty: Easy
  • rusty sunshine wind chime gets a fresh farmhouse look for front door
I gave her a good cleaning with my TSP to remove all the dirt and grime. It looked as if she had been outside in the weather for a long time :-(
Next, I used my Rust-Oleum chalk paint in Linen White and gave her a light coat. I did not want to cover her up totally, I wanted some of the rust and the original patina to show.
  • rusty sunshine wind chime gets a fresh farmhouse look for front door
After about 2 hours of drying time, I sanded, heavily around the facial features and the detailed places. I wanted her to SHINE (haha) through.
  • rusty sunshine wind chime gets a fresh farmhouse look for front door
After I sanded, I gave her one coat of PolyAcrylic to protect her from the weather. I remembered I had some old, rusty wire that I had found at a local junk store, and thought this would make a perfect hanger.
  • rusty sunshine wind chime gets a fresh farmhouse look for front door
And here she is~! Ready for Spring and to greet guests into our home with here wonderful smile 
  • rusty sunshine wind chime gets a fresh farmhouse look for front door

Materials used for this project:

  • Old Sunshine Wind Chime  (Yard Sale)
  • Rust-Oleum Chalk Paint White Linen  (Lowes)
  • Old Rusty Wire  (Local Junk Store)
  • Polyacrylic  (Lowes)

No comments